Scratch made gravy, like this Make Ahead Brown Gravy, blows away anything you can buy premade. With a little extra effort, you can make the BEST gravy you ever had…sorry grandma.
Make Ahead Brown Gravy
3 hours, 30 minutes
- 2 turkey wings
- 4 ribs of celery, roughly chopped (use leaves too)
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with the back end of a knife
- 6 cups water
- 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey stock, strained and defatted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and in a large sauté or roasting pan (I use my large Dutch oven), roast (on a lower oven rack) turkey wings, celery, onion and garlic for 2 hours. Remove from the oven.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer on low for one hour, uncovered. Stock will reduce.
- Strain the stock into a bowl with at least a 4 cup capacity. Place liquid into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight and remove the fat accumulated on top.
- In a large sauté pan, melt unsalted butter and whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly over medium heat for two minutes. Whisk in turkey stock and cook until thickened. (
If you cannot get your gravy as thick as you like it, you can always dissolve 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in one teaspoon of cold water and SLOWLY add it to the gravy while whisking.