Canadian Beaver Tail Pastries
CANADIAN BEAVER TAIL PASTRIES
- Beaver Tails1/2 cup warm water
- 5 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 5 cups self raising flour
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cinnamon Sugar, Caramel, 6 Tbl of butter
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water and pinch of sugar.
- Allow to stand a couple of minutes to allow yeast to swell or dissolve.
- Stir in remaining sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs, oil, salt, and most of flour to make soft dough.
- Knead 5-8 minutes (by hand or with a dough hook), adding flour as needed to form a firm, smooth, elastic dough.
- Place in a greased bowl. Place bowl in a plastic bag and seal. (If not using right away, you can refrigerate the dough at this point).
- Let rise in a covered, lightly greased bowl; about 30-40 minutes.
- Gently deflate dough. (If dough is coming out of the fridge, allow to warm up for about 40 minutes before proceeding).
- Pinch off a golfball-sized piece of dough. Roll out into an oval and let rest, covered with a tea towel, while you are preparing the remaining dough.
- Heat about 5cm of oil in fryer in a wok. After a few minutes, drop a little dough in the oil. If it sizzles and browns up, then the oil is ready.
- Add the dough pieces to the hot oil, about 1-2 at a time.
- BUT — before you do, stretch the ovals into a tail shape, like a beaver’s tail – thinning them out and enlarging them as you do.
- Turn once to fry until the undersides are deep brown. Do not walk away from the stove as the tails will quickly burn
- Lift the tails out with tongs and drain on paper towels.
- Immediately toss the tails in cinnamon sugar and shake off excess
- To make caramel, add butter and brown sugar to cream in a saucepan and stir continuously over a low heat until thick and all ingredients have dissolved into each other.
- SMOTHER your beavertail with your favourite topping such as jam and cream, salted caramel, stewed apples and icecream, nutella or maple syrup.